My mother in law found this creamy avocado pasta recipe on pinterest. I was a little skeptical at first because it claims to be an alfredo substitute without using cream and/or eggs. hmmm...i only love eating pasta covered in creamy extra fatty goodness...but hey, i'll try it anyway, could use a healthier pasta sauce alternative...
So good in fact that I've made it twice in the past 8 days! Though I wouldn't say it tastes like alfredo sauce, it is absolute creamy goodness with healthy-ish fats from avocado instead of just plain old bad for you heavy cream.
Original recipe here: flourishingfoodie
Couple notes and changes: the avocado sauce came out a bit thick after pureeing. I skipped the olive oil in the sauce and added a half to one cup of reserved pasta water to thin it out as needed. I found the roasted tomatoes really made the recipe. I used organic splendido grape tomatoes and doubled the amount of tomatoes when I made it a second time.
I added sauteed chicken with a little red pepper to round out the meal.
To make the chicken:
- Cut two chicken breasts in half and then slice across into strips
- Salt and pepper chicken
- Heat tablespoon of olive oil in non stick pan over med-high heat
- Add half an onion or large shallot, chopped.
- Cook until onion is translucent and starting to brown
- Add 2 minced garlic cloves and 1-2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes
- Stir for 30 seconds and then add chicken
- Let brown on one side for 3-4 minutes, turn to other side and cook until done
Oh, did i mention that this recipe was also EXTREMELY easy? Well, it was! Basically four steps: throw tomatoes in oven, boil pasta, puree avocado, saute chicken. Mix and you're done!
(ps: so psyched to explore more recipes on the fantastic FlourishingFoodie blog!)