Thursday, August 30, 2012

Gone with the Wind

FINISHED!

When my daughter was first born and I'd tell strangers and friends alike that her name was Scarlett, I'd receive an array of reactions all referring to the main character in Gone with the Wind.

People would immediately respond with "I just don't give a damn!" and "I'll think of that tomorrow!" One stranger old lady went so far as to say, "Well, you just gave her a name that will cause her problems the rest of her life!"

I didn't get it.

What was so bad about this Scarlett character?! Not only was my Scarlett not named after Scarlett O'Hara, but I had actually never read the book or seen the movie!

I decided I must read this book in order to understand these mostly negative references placed upon my sweet little new baby girl...

Well, after almost two years of (non-continuous) reading, I have finished Gone with the Wind!

I LOVED IT!

I'm so emotional right now!

I finished this afternoon. Ironically, I felt a little like Scarlett O'Hara herself when, with only ten pages left, my Scarlett woke up from her nap and I couldn't be bothered with her at that moment. (Eek!) I went to David, with tears streaming, "I'm almost finished and I'm crying!" He instinctively understood, and took a break from work to watch Scarlett while I read the last pages.

Wow!! All I can say is, "WOW!"

Who else has read this and wants to have a book club discussion with me?! I have so many thoughts and feelings right now!

Also, all I want to do is watch the movie immediately to see the epic story portrayed on screen, and, of course, see Vivien and Clark in action! I searched high and low on streaming video websites to no avail, and I called about 10 no-longer-in-business video stores throughout Summit County. Oh, why have all the blockbusters gone out of business?! The nearest Target and Walmart didn't have the DVDs in stock either. There is no way to watch it tonight! Waaah!

Seriously, I am crestfallen.

If I don't find a way to watch it, I will scream! But I guess I'll just have to think about that tomorrow! I must find it! I will find it, and watch it - tomorrow!



No comments: